We often associate power surges with lightning storms or downed power lines. However, the average home can experience small surges throughout the day, with 80% of them being generated internally every time large appliances are turned on and off. If they happen frequently, they can cause electronic items to deteriorate and shorten their lifespans.
More than 30,000 non-fatal shock accidents occur every year, according to the Electrical Safety Foundation International. They originate from various sources, including faulty switches and outlets, loose connections and short circuits which, if ignored, could cause a fire or electrocution.