Frequently Asked Questions
We’re here to help.
There are many electrical components in your home that you use everyday and never think what is does or what its actual use is. We have compiled a list of things we get questions about all the time to help you find the answers. Bailey & Shipp Electric are committed to helping our customer in any way we can. If you have a question or need service give us a call. 410-571-0900
Q: WHAT ARE THE OUTLETS IN MY BATHROOM AND KITCHEN WITH THE BUTTON?
A: GFCI ( ground fault circuit interrupter) is a safety mechanism that shuts the outlet or circuit off when current starts to go somewhere it isn’t suppose to. This helps keep people from being electrocuted, and helps prevent serious damage to your home or devices. They are required by code in areas with excessive moisture, which is why they’re found in bathrooms and kitchens.
Q: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN BULBS FOR MY HOUSE?
A: Halogen, CFLs, LEDs? What does it all mean? Halogens look most like incadesecent bulbs, but they offer the least value.CFLs have been around a while and offer a good value in regards to lumen output and life. They also take a while to turn on and do not dim, or dim poorly, with visible flickering. CFL bulbs also contain mercury, which can be dangerous if broken and are difficult to dispose of when they do burn out. LEDs offer good light output and longer life, however they still cost more than the CFL options. LED bulbs are dimmable, allowing you to adjust the light for the mood, and it does not contain mercury.
Q: IS ALUMINUM WIRING A FIRE HAZARD OR IS MY ALUMINUM WIRING OK?
A: Aluminum wiring was used in the late 1960’s and into the mid-1970s in many homes across North America. Aluminum wiring itself is not dangerous to have in your house. The issue with aluminum wiring is in the faulty terminations either in the receptacles and switches, or light fixtures and equipment. The wiring can appear fine but it may be deteriorating behind devices, creating a dangerous fire hazard. If you have concerns about aluminum wiring, give us a call to get it inspected and avoid a serious issue.
Q: WHY DO LIGHTS IN MY HOME FLICKER?
A: In many cases, a flickering light is just that. It could be just a loose bulb, if the problem is more widespread than that, you might have a serious problem. It is possible that the problems at your breaker box or even beyond originating with a poorly grounded connection to the power company.
Q: WILL A WHOLE HOUSE SURGE PROTECTOR REALLY WORK?
A: A whole house surge protector will protect you from spikes in electricity from the outside of your house. Lightning and surges from the power company which can effect many of your electric devices in your home. The surge protect attaches to your main panel box of your home and protects you against these surges.
Q: WHY DOES MY BREAKER PANEL FEEL HOT?
A: A hot breaker panel is the sign of overheating due to circuit overload. This is very dangerous, and can cause a fire in your home. Contact us immediately if you feel your panel box is hot to the touch or if you hear a sizzling sound.