Why Is My Light Switch Hot?

Have you noticed that your light switch is hot? If so, you should immediately call an electrician to have it checked. This isn’t a normal, ordinary issue that can be taken for granted. If you don’t get assistance right away, you could end up facing a serious electrical fire in your home. Here we’ve listed possible reasons or causes of a hot light switch.  

Faulty wiring. If the light switch is wired improperly, it will get hot. Loose connections that are still slightly touching will enable the light switch to function. However, this will force the electricity to operate through a smaller path, which creates heat.

Overloaded switch. Just like most wall outlets, light switches have a limit on how much power they can handle, and different switches are rated for different levels of power. Most standard light switches can handle a load of 15 amps. If you’re using too much power, it could overload and become a fire risk.

Dimmer switches. Dimmer switches dissipate electricity, using semiconductors and other electronic components, in order to brighten or dim light. Electrical contractors confirm that while it’s typical for a dimmer switch to feel a little warm to the touch due to the buildup of energy and heat, it should not be hot. 

Failing switch. Over time, the contacts inside of the switch will become worn. This will cause the electricity to flow improperly, which can lead to overheating. The best thing to do is have it quickly replaced. 

If you’re looking for specialists in the field like commercial electrical contractors, Bailey & Shipp Electric provides a variety of services. We’re available 24/7 to handle any and all emergencies around Washington, DC, and Northern Virginia, VA, for your home or business electrical concerns. Call us today to find out more at (410) 457-3507 or fill out our contact form.

Related Posts
  • Troubleshooting Electrical Shocks From Light Switches Read More